We have set out our Code of Practice so that you can safely and confidently conduct your property purchase with us.
What is the Code of Practice?
Buying a home should be an enjoyable experience and we want to ensure that the whole process takes place in a secure and trusting environment.
Our Code of Practice provides a professional, ethical and fair service to everyone with whom we come into contact, whether it be vendors or buyers, members of the public, or other real estate companies.
It complements the existing consumer protection legislation in Andalucia and Spain and provides a high level of protection, creates a stable and transparent environment, and enables you to relax in the knowledge that you are in safe hands.
The Code has been established with your best interests in mind and we ask you to take the time to read this page.
Our Code of Practice
1. When representing a vendor or buyer, we protect and promote their interests. We, therefore, have the responsibility to deal fairly and honestly with all parties involved in a transaction.
2. We will avoid exaggeration, misrepresentation, or concealment of pertinent facts relating to the property or the transaction. We, however, will not be obliged to discover construction or technical faults in a property but will declare them if known.
3. We shall disclose all information on typical costs of any transaction in a full, fair and accurate manner.
4. We shall keep vendors and buyers informed, to the best of their knowledge, of the current status of any property in which they have an interest.
5. We will take all reasonable care to ensure that properties listed for sale are free of charges and encumbrances and fulfil the legal requirements for sale.
6. We shall not offer for sale or advertise property at a price different from that agreed with the seller, plus any commission SIP may charge.
7. For the protection of all parties all agreements shall be in writing and shall be in clear and understandable language, expressing the specific terms, conditions, obligations and commitments of the parties. A copy of each agreement shall be furnished to each party upon their signing. All written agreements shall be in Spanish with an English translation unless both parties are English speakers when the contracts and agreements will be in English.
8. We shall, prior to the signing of agreements, fully inform the parties of all potential expenses for which they may be liable.
9. We shall treat all information and data collected by ourselves, whether regarding vendors or buyers, in accordance with current legislation regarding data protection. The obligation to preserve confidential information continues after termination of any and all business relationships. We shall not knowingly, during or following the termination of professional relationships with our clients:
a) reveal confidential information
b) use confidential information to the their disadvantage
c) use confidential information for the advantage of ourselves or other parties without their consent unless:
i) required by court order
ii) it is the intention of the client to commit a crime and the information is necessary to prevent the crime
iii) it is necessary to defend ourselves against an accusation of wrongful conduct.
10. We will very stronly encourage our clients to seek independent legal and/or financial representation, and will effect an introduction to such independent sources if so requested. The provider of that professional service will speak a language understood by the client. The client may also choose to be represented by a lawyer in his home country, in which case the client accepts responsibility for ensuring that the lawyer is competent and qualified to act in a transaction occurring within the jurisdiction of the laws of Spain.
11. In the event that SIP introduces any client to any provider of additional or ancillary services or products, we shall endeavour at all times to ensure that the other service provider acts within both the letter and the spirit of this Code, as well as acting within legislation covering that additional service or product.
12. We shall ensure that the description of a property for sale is accurate and complete and fully reflects all details as provided by the vendor. SIP will, to the best of its ability, confirm all details with the vendor in order to provide comprehensive information to prospective purchasers and comply with Descreto 218. It is, nevertheless, strongly advised that the purchaser, together with their legal representative, ascertain that the vendor has indeed provided accurate information.
13. We shall present all offers and counter offers in a timely manner and will respond promptly and efficiently to all enquiries from buyers and vendors.
14. SIP shall not deny professional services to any person for reasons of race, colour, religion, sex, handicap or national origin.
16. SIP shall endeavour to present a true picture in their advertising and representations.
17. SIP shall conduct their business in accordance with statutory and regulatory requirements within Spain.
18. We shall never publicly discredit a competitor nor knowingly make false or misleading statements about competitors, their business, or their business practices.